Fort Williams Fun

 Today was one of the first times since I've been in Maine that my day off coincided with good weather.  I decided to take advantage of that and check out Fort Williams.  I had only seen one lighthouse since I've been in Maine, which seemed like a shame.  I ventured out to explore, and I was not disappointed.  I am not a history person so I definitely would not have known anything about the place, but the sign I read told me that the Fort was an active military base from 1873 to 1964.  Seems like a good run.  The lighthouse there is called Portland Headlight. 
 It's really beautiful and well maintained.  I don't think I would mind being a lighthouse keeper if I got to spend time here.  After checking out the lighthouse, I decided to follow the cliff trail...glad this was at the beginning, I would have been lost otherwise.  Ok, who am I kidding, anyone who knows me is aware that using compass directions is way over my head.

The trails at the park are lovely.  I wandered around for several hours. The first thing I had to do was climb all over the rocks...there's just something about giant rocks that makes my heart glad.  Is that weird?

After I sufficiently explored the coastline, I turned to the wooded paths and found the old Goddard Mansion. I didn't really intend to go there, I was following this path...


And suddenly I saw this...
Apparently you are supposed to approach from the other side so you get the full effect, like this...
 
But I've always liked to take a little different path than most people :)

 I was really impressed with Fort Williams, but even more impressed with God's creation.  There is no better reminder of how amazing God is than spending time outdoors.  I hope you all get a chance to enjoy some nature this summer!


Comments

Popular Posts