First Week in The 'Ville

Anyone who has read this blog has probably realized that I am a big nerd.  I say that because I am about to reveal more of my nerdiness. (Side note: Spell check does not believe that nerdiness is a real word, but I think the rest of the world will side with me in believing that it is.)  

This week I went to orientation at the hospital, some parts were kind of boring of course, but overall I really liked it!  Filling out forms, learning a new charting system, meeting new people, reading policy, getting new scrubs; it made me happy.  It reminded me of starting a new school year.  I always loved picking out school supplies, flipping through textbooks that I had every intention of reading thoroughly and opening up to the first page of a brand new notebook and taking legible notes.  In my mind a fresh start almost always equals good, at the very least it equals exciting.  Maybe my belief in this is why I have had so many fresh starts; maybe I have issues with that.

Anyway, I am savoring the newness of this assignment and the opportunity to explore a new city.  Fayetteville is a brand new notebook waiting to be written in (I already admitted I'm a nerd).  I still haven't done a whole lot of exploring, but there are a few little gems that I've already discovered.

The Peacock's Eye is an adorable shop filled with beautiful handmade Polish pottery.  I did not even know that Poland was known for pottery!  I have to admit I had some covetous thoughts as I looked at all the wonderful pottery, I might have wanted one of everything...but I've repented, no worries.


The other lovely place I found was a book store.  Of course I found a book store right away, and of course I did not exercise as much self control as I did at the pottery shop.  This shop was small, but it had a nice selection of used books and local art.

I feel at home anywhere that there are books, but the lady who ran the store was especially sweet and talked to me like we were old friends.  Southern hospitality I guess.  Maybe she was just being nice because I had an armful of books to buy.  No, she was genuinely sweet. We had a nice chat, it was really interesting because she used to be a nurse also...I might have been glimpsing into what my future holds when I retire from nursing.  I can definitely see that.
 
So, those are my finds for the week.  Twelve weeks left to find the best of Fayetteville!


Comments

Popular Posts