Christmas


It's hard to believe it's Christmas!  In truth, I've been struggling a bit to get in the Christmas spirit this year.  It took a conversation with a good friend, a sermon on Sunday morning and some asking God for forgiveness, but I am now officially enjoying Christmas.

Here's the thing, I tried a lot of things to help make it feel like Christmas.  I went to see Christmas lights, saw the Nutcracker, went to the Boston Pops Christmas Concert, bought presents, watched Christmas movies, purchased cards to send out (keep an eye out for Christmas cards in February since they are still on my table waiting to be sent)...I did more Christmas-type activities than I would do if I was back in Missouri, but nothing was helping. To be honest, I was feeling a little sorry for myself.  I realized that I was dreading spending the day alone (the point of this story is not to incite sympathy, so hang in there). 

Here's what made all the difference.  Jesus.  In my mind I had made Christmas into a time that was essentially about family and because I wouldn't be with my family I had decided that I couldn't enjoy it.  Don't get me wrong, spending time with family during the holidays is wonderful.  I am blessed with friends and family that make sure I know I am loved.  But family is not the reason we celebrate Christmas.  

The birth of Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas. The point of Christmas is simple.  It is love; the fact that God loved us so much that he would come to earth as a baby in order to ensure our salvation.  This is so basic, and yet...what a miracle!  I had forgotten that feelings don't always equal truth.  Just because I was feeling lonely and a bit unloved at Christmas didn't mean it was true.  In fact, the opposite is the truth. The God of all creation loves me more than I can imagine. That is more than enough.

Merry Christmas and many blessings,
Stephanie

Comments

Popular Posts