The World's Only Corn Palace!

I know it's been a while since I posted on here...not gonna lie, I've been having a lot of fun since I've been back in Missouri. It's been wonderful having a few weeks off and getting to spend time with my family and friends.  I thought I had plenty of time to post the rest of my pictures from the trip I took with my mom from Wyoming, but as it turns out time really does fly when you're having fun and before I knew it Tuesday rolled around and it was time to start my new job. All that to say, I have been lax in blogging and so I decided that today was the day to get motivated.

So here are some pictures of the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota.  We went through Mitchell on the way to Sioux Falls and since it was a Sunday evening we really didn't think this place would be open.  As it turns out, the Corn Festival was scheduled for the next week, so the whole place was abuzz with people getting ready for that. 
The Corn Palace began in 1892 as a way for settlers to show off their harvests.
The Corn Palace serves as a focal point for the Corn Festival and is decorated with murals made of corn, grains and native grasses.
This is what the murals look like before they are filled in..kind of like a paint by number. After, they look like this:
Pretty impressive! If you're driving through South Dakota, you should stop here...or if you're just a really big fan of corn.

Comments

Popular Posts