This is not a food post. It's a love story.

It was inevitable...I stood no chance.  As much as I love food, I was destined to write a post about baking.  Baking is one of my favorite things to do.  Baking is what I do when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm nervous, when I'm bored; you get the idea.  

A few weeks ago I found a recipe on Joy the Baker's website that really intrigued me.  It was for Strawberry Pineapple Crumble.  I thought about that recipe for about 2 weeks.  I love strawberry and pineapple in smoothies and fruit salads, but what would they taste like baked?  With a oat topping?  All I could imagine was the strange apple crisp that we used to get for school lunches.  Mushy fruit, soggy topping.  But then I started thinking about something that my mom makes call cherry dump cake that combines pineapple and cherries and is delicious; especially when it has a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!  

Anyway, my mouth started watering and I could resist no longer, I had to try it!  So I did.  And that's how it happened..I decided to document the process for the blog.  (Also, I haven't really done much this week except work, so I didn't have anything else to blog about.)  

It turned out that this is actually a love story. 

Once upon a time there was a pineapple who, despite his tough exterior, had a heart of gold.  The pineapple was lonely and wished that there was someone out there who really understood him and could appreciate his sweet nature.  Then one day he met the strawberry.  She was a little on the plump side, but so bright and attractive that he wanted to get to know her.

They dated.


 Got engaged.
 Got married.
 And had an ice cream baby.
And fed this hungry girl.

Is it slightly disturbing that in this story I am the cause of the main characters' deaths?  Maybe a love story wasn't the best way to present this...but the point is that the strawberry and the pineapple made an amazing couple and had a wonderful marriage.  

And my stomach lived happily ever after.  So if you're looking for a dessert that's a easy, a little bit different, and fabulously delicious to boot, this is it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts