Another beautiful day in Wyoming....

Be jealous of all the sunshine I'm soaking in here in Wyoming.
April Fool's! That was yesterday.
It's been snowing all day today.

That's okay though, the snow is giving me a chance to look back through my pictures from earlier in the week.  One of the lovely days we had gave me a chance to check out Fort Laramie.
Fort Laramie was established in 1834.  It was known for being a trading post and an important stop for emigrants on their way to Oregon, California and Salt Lake.  It became a military post in 1849 and functioned in that way until 1890.

The National Parks System has done a wonderful job preserving the fort and providing some great information for those who are interested in history.  Even if you're not intrigued by the history though, Fort Laramie is set in such a beautiful spot it would be hard not to enjoy a visit.
These are the only barracks still standing at the fort.  They were built in 1874!
On the hillside overlooking Fort Laramie you can see the graves of unknown soldiers.  The view from here was my favorite part of the whole experience.
Then there's the hospital.  The cost for civilians to be treated here...$1 per day.
Here's a random picture of a tree because I'm weird and I like trees (this one reminded me of the whomping willow from Harry Potter).  Enjoy.
I can't remember for sure but I think this was the door to the store/BX.
And there are a variety of homes for officers still standing.
In case you were wondering about plumbing, behind each house was one of these lovelies...yikes.
Here's a view of the parade grounds from the porch of one of the officer's homes.
And what fort would be complete without a prison and a corral for all those horses?
To finish off my tour of Fort Laramie I walked down to the Laramie River. A perfect ending to a beautiful day.
Goodbye Fort Laramie, see you again some sunny day!



Comments

Popular Posts