There's No Place Like Home

When I was growing up, I dreamed of seeing the world...by that I mean anywhere outside of Missouri.  Now that I'm grown and have seen places I never would have dreamed of, I have a much greater appreciation for home.

There's something about driving into my hometown, passing fields of corn and beans, that makes my heart glad (and makes me want to sing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy").  When I drive past the high school I start feeling nostalgic.  When I turn at the stoplight and drive down the avenue that goes past the park and see kids riding bikes, I get excited because I'm almost there!  And then at the end of the road when I turn down Main Street and see that familiar little downtown; I know it...I'm home.

Obviously, family, good conversation, and hugs make up a good deal of feeling at home, but here are a few of the other things that make me think of home.

1. The food (my mama made fried chicken for my brother-in-law's birthday...be jealous!)
 (credit where it's due...those are my dad's hands mashing the potatoes)
2. The old familiar "stuff"
(For the record, I washed these)
 Poor Raggedy Ann was attacked!
I've always loved this guy. Maybe because he hides cookies under his hat.

3. The smiles
These two were hard to get pictures of...so while there were smiles, they were not captured by the camera (Sister, this is what gets posted to the internet when you won't humor me!)
So thankful that #1 has overcome her dislike of having her picture taken!
This one has never met a camera she didn't like!
 So serious...
Wait, there's a smile!
 These eyes and that chocolate covered mouth...my heart melts!
4. The memories, old...
and new!
It was so good to be home!

Comments

Popular Posts