Weekend Woes

I have recently become rather obsessed with rock climbing.  For someone like me who has very little athletic ability it is very empowering to find out that you are capable of climbing.  When my climbing friends offered the chance to go with them to Uwharrie National Forest and do some bouldering, I eagerly agreed.  My friend Rachel was in town which made this trip even better.  

Things started off nicely.  The weather was beautiful and other than the fact that we had to jump start one of the cars, it promised to be a perfect day; plenty of snacks, good company and of course rocks to climb. 

We started climbing, and it was magical. 






You might notice that there are no pictures of me climbing...I thought there would be more time for that.  Fate had other ideas.  I tragically fell and rolled my ankle very early on.  It was so sad.  I wanted to cry, not because it hurt, but because I still wanted to climb.  Thankfully I have some good friends and they propped me and my monster ankle up on what became known as "the princess pad."  They made sure I had everything I needed and I got to watch some good climbing.  Here's a picture of me and my friend Rachel lounging on the princess pad.

But wait, the story doesn't end there.  We still had to make our way back to the car, and by that time my ankle was disgustingly swollen.  I tried really hard to hobble back to the car with some help, but it was very slow going and pretty painful.  This is slightly humiliating because I'm a grown up and I really dislike needing help from anyone, but I also want to give credit to my friend TJ because I think this is a sign of true friendship.  He gave me a piggy back ride for a good portion of the way back.  I have never been so grateful in my life.  So here's a tribute to TJ, "Thank you for being a friend, travelin' down the road and back again..." You're a better friend than a Golden Girl.

Also, here's a picture of my gross ankle in case anyone was curious:
Can't wait for it to heal so I can climb another day.

Comments

Popular Posts