Ode to Beignets

New Orleans is known for beignets.  They are fabulous and inspiring. 

I was so inspired that I wrote a poem:

Beignets are delicious,
Beignets are sweet,
Powdered sugar pillows good enough to eat!

Okay, obviously poetry is not a strength of mine, but you get the point.

I first tried beignets at the famous Cafe du Monde.
Black coffee and fried dough with powdered sugar is perfection.
Here's a series of pictures showing the joy of eating beignets.
 Powdered sugar ecstasy!
The aftermath.
Next stop: Morning Call Coffee Stand
Here they serve the beignets plain and you get to add your own powdered sugar.
Note: Cafe Au Lait and fried dough with powdered sugar is also perfection.
What we discovered was that the shakers are ineffective.  The best way to eat these is to unscrew the lid and dump a pile of powdered sugar out on your plate, tear off pieces of hot beignet and then dip them in the powdered sugar.
Confession: after my friend left and I had some time to kill on my own, I went back to Cafe du Monde and had more beignets.  

They are so good it's ridiculous; I might have to attempt making these at home sometime. Or I could just go back to New Orleans.

Comments

Popular Posts