Summer Reading

I know this is not breaking news, but I love books.  I love the way you can live vicariously through the characters, go to new places and experience new things from the comfort of your own home.  Not only that; I love the way books feel when you hold them, the way they smell, and the hidden treasures you can find as long as you don't judge a book by it's cover.  

If there's one thing I'm prone to spend too much money on, it's books. (Okay, two things...books and food). Books make me really greedy.  I go into a bookstore and the drooling starts, then I throw my arms wide open and a maniacal laugh escapes as I exclaim, "I must have them all!" 

Too much reading also apparently causes me to become quite dramatic.  This summer the greed has taken over.  My current assignment in a town of 3500 people has been wonderful, but let's be real, there's not a whole lot to do around here.  The result: Reading frenzy.

Here are just a few of the books I've read this summer. The titles are links to amazon so you can find out more about them.
Paris -Epic.  Spanning 700 years and 800+ pages, this book is a bit of a monster, but worth it.  The stories of families sometimes intertwined, sometimes just touching each others' timelines, is addicting.  You just know that any book that requires maps and a genealogy is going to be good!
Speaking From Among the Bones -This book is fifth in a series.  I have enjoyed these books so much...I mean, an 11 year-old chemist who solves crime in the 1950's, how could I not? And the ending, shocking!
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - I love books about books, it's weird.  I had looked at this book several times while I was at the bookstore, but it was so cryptic I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it if I had no idea what it was really about.  In an effort at gaining self-control, I did not allow myself to buy this book the first 3 times I looked at it.  In the end, my need to read won out and I'm glad it did.  I won't tell you what it's about, only that it was not at all what I expected...in a delightful way. 

P.S. Check out the cover in the dark.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - I believe this book is intended for teenagers.  I'm among the very young at heart so it's okay for me to read such things, right?  As with Mr. Penumbra, I looked at this book several times before buying.  The cover creeped me out a little since, you know, the girl on the cover is floating.  Eventually I gave in and discovered that while this book is weird, it's not actually scary.  Well, except for the pictures, they were sometimes scary.  I wasn't able to read this book at night, not because of the story, but because I might accidentally glimpse one of the pictures and be unable to sleep for 4 days.
The Colorado Kid - Oh Stephen King! A story about no story. I didn't know what to expect when I picked this up for $3 at a used book store; I still don't know what to think about it.
One Thousand Gifts - After reading the first chapter of this book, I wasn't sure I wanted to read more. The writing and the message to live fully were beautiful but it was emotionally draining just to read the first chapter.  As it turns out, the whole book is like that.  Lovely but challenging.

There you have it, a little taste of what I've been reading this summer.  I'm currently reading Gone Girl, but after that I'll have some time.  Suggestions??

Comments

Popular Posts