Something Quirky

Quirky: different from the ordinary in a way that causes curiosity or suspicion (from Merriam-Webster)

I am not quirky, I just think the word is fun to say so it makes me happy when I actually have occasion to say it.  Last week I went to a place that can most definitely be described as quirky...a place where whimsy reigns (whimsy is another fun word).

That place is the Swetsville Zoo in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Now, I may not be quirky, but I have a great appreciation for those who are.  The creator of the Swetsville Zoo must have quirkiness oozing out of his pores.  It was like stepping into someone's imagination.

There were all kinds of creatures: dinosaurs, dragons, insects, and robots.  There were also martians and spaceships and giant flowers and plants.  

It was pretty deserted when I arrived, but I'm fairly certain the creator lives in this house on the grounds.
Now, on to the good part. 

I never would have guessed that metal faces could be so expressive...
Self portrait.
 So much to see!
 So this is how these guys are made...
After thoroughly inspecting the "zoo" I was privileged to meet one of the metalworkers who has a shop here.  Sadly I forgot this man's name...sorry sir.
But he was very nice and explained to me that he has a master of fine arts degree in metalworking.  He doesn't do much of the stuff I've shown here, but he has a forge there in the zoo and makes things ranging from delicate bracelets to furniture.  I got to watch him work for a little bit and I have to say it's impressive.

The Swetsville Zoo might just be the epitome of quirky.

Until next time!


Comments

Popular Posts